Monday 24 October 2011

Becoming a Foxy Lady

As you know, I have just hosted a Zoo themed fancy dress party.
For this, I made a fox costume... and now I'm going to show you how.

First off, I bought a brown top & orangey-brown skirt from some charity shops (always great for a bargain!)
Then I bought some white fur (70cm) & some brown fur (1 metre)... and I bought way too much... I probably only used half of it! Anyway....

The belly:
Simply cut out an oval from some newspaper (I'm such a fan of using newspaper to make my patterns) and pin to the white fur. Then cut out the oval shape on the white fur, pin & hand sew onto the top (I didn't dare use my machine with fur fabric!)


The Tail:
A big ol' fluffy fox tail :)
For this I made a pattern out of newspaper. I'm not sure how to word the pattern, so hopefully the pictures will explain it.
This is how to make the pattern for the orange/brown part of the tail. Sew together by hand, make sure its inside-out so you cannot see the seems.


For the white part (again I cannot verbally describe the shape of it so please use the pictures), make sure the width is half the width of the end of the brown tail piece pattern. Also, you will need to cut out 4 of these, this will make your tail 3D. Sew together by hand & make sure you sew it inside-out!
Lastly, sew the tail onto your skirt.


The Ears:
This is probably my favourite part :)
Unfortunately, I got a little too into making them & therefore didn't take enough photos of how to make them.
I will try my best to explain how.
First cut out a large & long fox ear shape out of some newspaper. Then use this to cut out 4 pieces of orange/brown fur. Then cut out another pieces of newspaper which is the same shape as the last, but smaller. This will be the 'inside' of the ear and your'll need to cut out 2 pieces of white fur with it.
Sew 1 white piece onto 1 orange piece, it should look like this:



Then repeat with another piece of white fur & another piece of orange fur.
Next you need to sew the backs of the ears on. To do this, sew one piece of orange fur to one orange & white piece. If you sew it inside-out, you will not see the seems. Also, try to leave the bottom of the front & back pieces unattached. Then you can wrap them around a hair band & sew them into place.
If you managed to understand all that, your finished ears should look like this:


AND, if you've done all this... your'll have a costume that looks like this:


:) I'm a very happy fox indeed xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment