Monday 10 October 2011

Mama's Good Ol' Chicken Stew

So us girlies are taking turns on cooking this year. Last night, it was my turn!!!
I thought I'd make a Chicken Stew.. nom nom nom. So I got all my lovely ingredients, had a quick 'mum-help-me' style phone call & I was ready. Here is my finished strew:


And here is my mother's delicious and simple (but time consuming) recipe:

Ingredients (serves 4 very hungry people):
4 Chicken Legs
2 Onions
2 Potatoes
2 Carrots
1/2 Suede
4 of so leaves of Cabbage
1/2 Cup (I used 1/3 mug) of broth mix
1 pint of water
Mixed Herbs
Salt & Pepper
Flour
Olive Oil
1 Pint of Water
1/2 Chicken Stock Cube (optional)

Recipe:

Preheat the oven at 2140 degrees.

Pour some flour, salt & pepper into a mixing bowl. Put the chicken legs in & cover them with the flour mix. (This will help keep the yummy chicken juices in later)

Chop up your onions & fry until lightly brown. Whilst they are frying dice your carrots and suede into bite-able chunks. Add these into frying pan with the browning onions until all the veg is turning golden. Then remove from heat & pour into a casserole dish.

Using the same frying pan, fry your floured chicken legs until golden brown (make sure they are sealed all over). Then add into the casserole dish. Do not clean the frying pan yet! Let it cool a little & then add 1 pint of water into the pan to soak up all the chickeny juices. Add this water into the casserole dish.

Chop up the cabbage & potato into bite-able chunks, add to casserole dish. Season the strew with salt, pepper & mixed herbs. Put into the oven.

After 1 hour add the broth mix to the stew. Check the water level is still slightly higher than the veg, if not add more water. Also, taste the stew. If it is not chickeny enough, add 1/2 a chicken stock cube. Cook for another hour.

Serve hot.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment